Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Silver Cross - Part II

On November 17, while preaching at St. Anne's Church in Poona, I had lost my little silver cross and though I had little hope of finding it, it "miraculously" turned up the next morning. Today, half an hour before I was to leave for the airport to Chennai for my next set of programs, I discovered my cross missing again. I believed it had gone into the wash!

As I felt a wave of panic sweep through me, as it always did when I couldn't find the cross, I heard a familiar voice ask me why I was so attached to it and if I was wise in being so. Embarassment replaced panic and I hastily apologized, telling Jesus that I was okay without it. If He wanted me to have it back, He could return it; otherwise I'd live without it.

The morning after I reached Chennai I received a note from my hosts in Sri Lanka saying they had found the cross and would courier it across to me. Even as I thanked God for letting me have the cross back, I also thanked Him for the lesson he taught not to be attached to anything, not even items of religious significance.

No comments: