Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mission Accomplished

Done in Africa, at least for this time, we were on a plane back home in the evening. I got upgraded once again, and this time I enjoyed what Business Class had to offer, rather than sleep it out as I had on the way in. As much as I love going on mission, spreading the word of God, I am never as happy as when I'm back home, and this time I was happier still because it was the end of my adventures for at least another three months.


Earlier in the day we went sightseeing, taking in one of the many Ethiopian Orthodox churches in the city. A large number of religions are traditionally practiced in Ethiopia, the most numerous today being Orthodox Christianity, followed by Islam. It was one of the first Christian countries in the world, having officially adopted Christianity as the state religion in the 4th century. 

Those who know their Bible would probably remember how Philip met an Ethiopian eunuch on the desert road that led from Jerusalem to Gaza and explained the Scriptures to him. Immediately after this, the eunuch asked to be baptized and took his faith with him to his country. This story is told in the eighth chapter of the book of Acts.

No comments: